happy in st. pete




While Andy went to Charlotte, NC last week for another seminary class (this one through Gordon Conwell and no, he's not transferring), the kids and I packed up and headed to St. Pete for a couple of days to visit Michael's buddy Charlie and his family again. We had a great time (as always). From a very early age, we have been able to let Michael and Charlie off to do their own thing with minimal supervision and they have played together peacefully (for the most part). The only problem we had this time is that they've developed a new game which involves chasing their little sisters (dressed in princess dresses) with swords in hand. Have you ever heard the saying "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt"? True.

We took the kids to the pool (twice), Fort DeSoto (that would be the beach), the aquarium, and a local park for a picnic dinner, which involved both a manatee and a dolphin sighting. Actually, it was apparently two manatees, probably a mother and her calf... and since the manatee moves quite a bit slower than the dolphin, it was more of a manatee viewing than a sighting. I still find it hard to believe that I live in an area where I can see such exotic (to me, remember I grew up in Ohio) creatures. I am surrounded by them every day. If I were to list just the birds I can see in my neighborhood, it would include everything from robins and jays to ibises, herons, parrots, and anhingas (please don't tell me if I spelled that one wrong). Plus the lizards currently living in my house.Needless to say, it took the kids a couple of days to recuperate from the visit. We will see them again at least once before we go--unfortunately right after Charlie goes back to school so it will be short (we will also be towing a big trailer).
I have also been busy plotting out what Michael and I will be doing next year and I have to say that I am excited! We'll be studying early history--prehistory through the fall of Rome--and our science and reading will parallel that, more or less. We'll even get to read a children's version of The Odyssey! Lately, Michael has been fascinated by Greek and Roman mythology, so we've been reading quite a bit already. Yesterday, we were reading (for about the dozenth time) a very brief retelling of the Trojan War and Michael decided that it was time to get straight who exactly was a Greek and who was a Trojan. His idea, not mine! So he and I sat down with the book and made out a who's who list to keep all of the names straight. It was a lot of fun. Don't worry, I've saved the list--definitely going in his school binder, even if it is a little early.
We now have a hitch on the van, a sign is going in front of the house soon, boxes are in the living room (five full boxes of books, plus the kids' books, Andy's books, and not including the two boxes we already sent to Ohio), and the garage is filling up with garage sale items. Still no word on an apartment out west; we do appreciate your prayers on our behalf. Also, Andy is still searching for a middle school leader (part time paid position)--please pray.

1 Comments:
Are you still traveling to California via Sherman, TX? If so, let me know and maybe we can meet up!
Rachel
9:11 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home