Tuesday, December 13, 2005

comings and goings






I think I said last time that Dad left for Ohio just about a week ago. He actually very kindly delayed going home so that he and I could take the kids to see the new Pride & Prejudice. I have a lot of thoughts about that which I may unload next time, but briefly: I liked it a lot. I felt like the cuts made were smart, mostly, and they did manage to keep the pace more Victorian than I would have expected from a two hour film.

Andy's sister Kim flew in from DC for a weekend visit, which was wonderful! Considering she was here for two days, it still managed to be a pretty relaxing visit. The kids were thrilled to see her again and Elanor took to her almost right away (I say almost because the first Elanor knew of her being here was when little E woke up crying at an odd hour of the night and was rescued by a STRANGER!! But she settled in at breakfast). Of course, we took her to play putt putt and took some pictures!

My dad called on Sunday to let me know that he had been called up to Michigan at Hospice's advice to be with my grandmother. She passed away yesterday, peacefully, around lunchtime. It is sad for us but not unexpected as she has been in a decline for a while. Dad and most of the Gale family are together in Grand Rapids this week and I'm sure they're having a great visit. I am sad because I can't get up there to be with them... at this point I have lost three grandparents and have been unable to go to any of their memorial services. I know my presence is not necessary, but I remember how thankful I was for all the family when Mom died... we visited and traded stories for hours. I know that's happening without me this week. I am so thankful that we have nothing to fear from death and I know that Grandma was welcomed into heaven yesterday. What a blessing!

Other than that, it's just another busy December here. The Christmas cards came yesterday and I hope to get them in the mail tomorrow (unless I am delayed by including a letter, which will push it until next week at least). They turned out well, even with the unhelpful children! The second attempt at pictures was only marginally better than the first, but I hope you enjoy the picture.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Walmer Family said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your grandmother! I had NO IDEA that some of your family was from Grand Rapids (my hometown). Now I have all of these questions...

We look forward to getting your Christmas letter. Unfortunately, due to recent circumstances, the Walmer's are probably not going to do a Christmas letter this year! :)

Rachel

5:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home