merry christmas!





We had a nice, quiet (as quiet as it can be with three small children, anyway) Christmas here at home... my family was gathered in Virginia and Andy's family in Colorado, so it was just us this year. The kids were very excited--even Michael was up by 6:30 (he made up for it this morning by sleeping until almost 8:30). We convinced them to open only stockings before breakfast (which, by the way, was a new thing this year: breakfast strata. Wow, was that good--it will certainly be making a reappearance on our table!), but once breakfast was over, all bets were off. Andy tried manfully to hold them back but the children raced through opening the presents. They were thrilled with their gifts, from the tiny notebooks Andy found to the new rollerskates to Michael's new bow and arrow. I'm not sure if we're not crazy, giving our five year old a real bow and arrow set, but he has always been gifted with athletics. And as I thought about it, archery is pretty close kin to golf and you know Michael loves golf! The other major gifts of the day were the rollerskates for Caroline and rollerblades for Michael (can you believe his feet are too big for the trainer skates? Obviously one is supposed to begin learning to skate at 3, not 5!). Elanor got a doll stroller, with which she is totally enamored, and some crazy toy that she plays with in the church nursery and loves. It's so fun to watch the kids enjoy their day of fun and presents (and it's nice that we are able to moderate the amount of presents they receive so it's not all about the loot).
When we were at the Olliffs', I overheard Michael and Charlie discussing the Christmas excitement as they played together. What really was exciting to me was how earnest they were about reminding each other that "Christmas is all about when Jesus is born, you know." Hearing that kind of comment makes me feel like we're remembering to do something right every once in a while! Andy was so touched yesterday by Michael's gratitude: apparently all day long, Michael would periodically stop what he was doing and say, "Thank you, Daddy, for my presents!" What a neat kid.
I hope you have been enjoying the pictures on the blog... or at least that you have noticed an improvement in their quality! We were able to get a lovely family gift this year of a digital SLR and I have enjoyed it immensely. I love being able to take several pictures in quick succession and get at least one really good one (sometimes only one; I've pitched quite a lot!). I think the difference between being able to hold a "real" camera up to my eye vs. looking at the LCD on a smaller point and shoot really changes the kind of shot I take, too... not sure how to explain it. Anyway, hope you are enjoying the pictures; I am certainly enjoying taking them.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will have a blessed new year!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home