Tuesday, November 14, 2006

did i ever?

I was looking for my copy of Phoebe's apple cake recipe and knew I had blogged about it, so I found it. I am not sure if the original made it to California or not. When I went and looked back at that post, I found a request for the recipe for Phoebe Bread and I don't think that I ever posted that (sorry!). So, for you Phoebe Bread lovers out there, here it is:

3 c flour
2 T sugar
1.5 t salt
3 T olive oil
1 pkg yeast (2.25 t)
1ish c warm water

Mix everything together and let rise according to your needs. For foccacia bread: let rise one hour, shape into two loaves, let rise another hour, dimple it, drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt (or whatever you like to do to it), bake for approx. ten minutes at 425. For pizza dough, let rise one hour, shape in your pan, let rise anywhere from 15 minutes to another hour, then prebake at 375 until lightly golden brown (this is a thick pizza crust, so prebaking is critical unless you like raw dough in the middle). I have never used it for sandwich bread or cinnamon rolls, but I think I remember Phoebe saying it worked well for both. The amount of water depends on if you are using regular flour or bread flour or if you are mixing by hand or mixer. I use bread flour, so it needs a little more water. Phoebe's original recipe called for 1.25 cups of water; don't go more than that.

Enjoy, and once again, thank you, Phoebe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home